Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Day 103 – Girls need to find out for themselves what they want and then go and get it (Pg 217)


Sorry to have left you hanging so long... whoever you are!

I have a job! In fact I was offered both jobs I interviewed for and was forced to choose... a very odd turn of events. Now I am on contract for 6 months (coincidentally this job will end just as my reading project ends). The position is 9-5 with nothing what-so-ever to do with film. However I have still been working on my own documentary projects and am not about to give up on my dreams anytime soon.

I have also not forgotten my reading. Perfectly Correct by Philippa Gregory is from the original library sale. I found it a little slow going at first, it read a lot like a university text book providing bland stereotypical characters, ‘the feminist’ ‘the capitalist’ etc etc. It is set around a university and university lecturers, however it promised to be witty, not pompous. I did eventually warm to it when the main characters began to be less stereotypical and more like real people.

I discovered that Gregory is well known for the Tudor series of books. The most successful being The Other Boleyn Girl which was made into a film in 2008. I have seen this film and thought it not too bad.

I wouldn’t call Perfectly Correct raunchy or ‘Mills and Boon-esk’ (not having read Mills and Boon I can’t be sure, although I believe there was an incident in my childhood in which I picked up a copy of one of my Grandmother’s romance novels...)
Perfectly Correct does contain a few sexy and naked moments which did cause me some slight embarrassment. My new job has provided me with a train trip to and from the city, allowing for dedicated reading time. While reading this particular book one morning, and having a small chuckle to myself, I blushed to discover the young school boy next to me peering over my shoulder. At this time I was reading a chapter about jogging, jiggling breasts on display at a feminist rally... I read on with caution.

182 days remaining, 24 books to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment