Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Day 62 – You can’t go about the world being nothing (pg 11 The Magic Pudding)


Yesterday I finished the smallest and perhaps most whimsical book left in the pile, The Magic Pudding by Norman Lindsay. I caught a small part of the animated movie on television some years ago (approx 6 if memory serves) and was pleasantly surprised. A few days later I came across the book in a second hand bookshop and bought it, it has been sitting on my shelf ever since.

I remember being read the book at primary school, and this time I found myself reading passages aloud when it came to rhymes I had somehow stored in my memory. Another memory came to me when the character Benjamin Brandysnap appeared. Back in about 1987, the same year I first encountered The Magic Pudding, I dressed as Benjamin Brandysnap for the book week parade. As soon as I saw his picture and read his name, I could feel the fuzzy brown material against my skin. What a strange thing memory is!


The book is quite simply delicious, set out in four slices it can make one rather hungry. It’s beautifully written, quite lyrical and includes lovely illustrations by Lindsay. Written originally in 1918, there are a few references and words that would not be found in children’s books today. I am now in search of the animated film.

I've not progressed far though Peter Jackson – A Filmmakers Journey. What I find most unfortunate, is that it has been written for an American audience evident from incidences like distance written in miles and the history of the ANZAC's having to be explained. As an Australian I am a little offended and presently more bored with the way this biography has started off than inspired.

I have sent off my application for the much wanted internship, now comes the waiting...

222 Days remaining, 17 books to go (20 books to go)

2 comments:

  1. Best of luck on your application, hon. Sending positive thoughts from Canada!
    myladyquilter

    ReplyDelete