Monday, August 23, 2010

Day 207 – I went to look at one of the books, but I’m scared to. I’m scared to do anything (pg 140)


I did happen to finish One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest about 4 weeks ago, I have just been terribly hopeless at blogging. Thankfully I did write down all of my thoughts soon after I finished the book so my review is quite ‘fresh’ I assure you!

One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey is quite a disturbing book. I had previously seen a short scene from the film while at film school so my experience of the book was a little tainted. The story takes place in a mental asylum in the 1960s (which is when it was written and am assuming when it is set).

The tone of the story reminded me a little of Catcher in the Rye. Interesting side note, during his life J. D. Salinger would not allow Catcher in the Rye to be made into a film. Now that he has passed away, apparently Hollywood directors are falling all over themselves to try and secure the rights... a shame really I think. I am however quite interested to see One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest on screen now.

The descriptions Kesey provides from the point of view of the main character the ‘Chief’ about the life in the asylum and the forest of his childhood are magical.

The way the ward is described creates an atmosphere, although oppressive and confined, that is accepted without question by the reader.

A confronting but also beautiful book, if I was to give out stars... 4 stars from me!

74 days remaining, 18 books to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment