Thursday, September 23, 2010

Day 238 – Entered the dead posh library where she sat in a grand room surrounded by shelves and shelves of books (pg 116)


Martha’s Journey by Maureen Lee is one of the prize books from the Book Depository. It was wonderful. Nothing amazing or ground breaking but it was a real story you got caught up in and carried away by. I cared about the characters and even shed a tear or two.

The story is set in England during World War One and follows a woman, Martha, and her family who have little but still manage somehow to get through.

Martha’s son Joe is tricked into signing up at only 14 and much of the story tells of her effort, with the help of a kind young woman, to bring back Joe and the others from France.

I really love stories about the underdog, those who are struggling but don’t complain, who do what they need to in order to survive. I love their passion and the love they have for each other. I also love the story of compassion. The woman who is determined to help Martha and her family in any way she can and always wishing she could do more.

In the story Martha resolves to walk from Liverpool to London to talk to the Prime Minister. She is six months pregnant at the time with her sixth child and does get a little help along the way. In fact she is driven most of the way. She's concerned it’s cheating, however manages to justify it. I couldn’t help but think what the equivalent might be for me, how can I cheat a little to reach my goal.. No idea, all I know is I have only 3 days for each book and things are looking grim indeed.

43 days remaining, 13 books to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment