Sunday, December 5, 2010

Day 311 – Charlie was rambling on about his book (pg 199)


I’m here. Married and honeymooned and even though I have not blogged for a month, I have been reading! Fear not, for this time I shall not fail.

The Trout Opera by Matthew Condon (a highly celebrated author) started promisingly enough. It opened warm, witty, humorous, with beautiful descriptions. It then migrated towards the Sydney drug scene, and as I started to feel the familiar sense of a contemporary ‘Australian’ story, my interest waned.

The descriptions did continue to be beautiful throughout. The past and the present, the beauty of the country and the grit of city life. I just found I wasn’t really engaged by the story.

My favourite character was by far the one that the story opens on. Wilfred Lampe, aged 6, dressed in his trout costume peering over the jetty and imagining himself as King of the Trout. This innocent, 6-year-old Wilfred doesn’t hang about for much more of the story, which is a real shame.

Another book that has failed to leave an impression on me.

14 days remaining, 6 books to go

No comments:

Post a Comment