Thursday, September 16, 2010

Day 231 – The book you will read tonight (pg 451)


I was concerned when I began An Equal Music by Vikram Seth. In the opening chapters, the descriptions are vivid and striking. When I thought I was going to have to fight my way through this for the entire book, I was worried that it would take me forever. After the first few chapters however, I was in and hooked. It is a large novel, however it was quicker to read (most likely as it was more enjoyable) than a lot of the smaller novels I have read.

The protagonist was interesting, at times I found him to be a strong character, intelligent, caring, generous and interesting. He would then switch to a creepy, oppressive stalker who was despondent and entirely dependant on another for his happiness. It felt like I was reading two stories and I found I enjoyed the love affair he had with music, more than the love affair he had with a woman.

It is a beautifully written story, I had classical music playing in the background as I read much of this and it really added to the atmosphere. As the main character is a violinist, I felt quite guilty about not having played my violin for some time.

I am also feeling quite guilty about the rate I am (or am not) getting through these books. I just don’t know how I am going to do it. Three and a half days to read each book that is left... it is possible, but looking at it from where I am now, it hardly seems probable.

50 days remaining, 14 books to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment