Thursday, January 28, 2010

Day 1 - What for you want a bathroom? Have you not got the sea? (pg 22)



So it's not exactly cheating, but I am already 1/3 of the way through My Family and Other Animals. This book is not one from the sale, it was in fact a gift from my good friend Tessa for my birthday last March.

I did catch part of the BBC television movie based on the book some years ago and thought it was wonderful. Once I have finished the book, I would like very much to find and watch the entire film.

I started reading this whilst on holiday in China in sub 0 degree temperatures. An odd place to start reading a book set in summertime on the Greek island of Corfu, however I was engaged from the moment I read the first page.

The book so far is just what a book should be. Although autobiographical, it is charming and whimsical. The story is told with such language and wonder that the reader feels as though they are there on the island having all kinds of adventures. The characters are fantastic and so full of life they jump right off the page. It is somewhat reminiscent of a Enid Blyton Famous Five adventure.

I am now up to Chapter 8 - The Tortoise Hills

No comments:

Post a Comment