Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Day 252 – I hadn’t read the book. As a result, I got pretty confused! (pg 47)


I have not read a lot of biographies. I don’t have anything against them per se, I just need to be interested in a person’s story to even consider picking one up.

Peter Jackson; a film-makers journey by Brian Sibley, was a gift. Although I am a filmmaker, it is not a book I would’ve selected for myself.

Most of this biography was a ‘making of’ The Lord Of The Rings. Even when discussing his earlier works, such as Heavenly Creatures, there were references to The Lord Of The Rings, and how all of this would eventually lead to it. I would’ve much preferred to have these as reminiscences once the story came to the rings, looking back to the earlier films

I feel that this book was far too reliant on the success of the rings and didn’t give enough weight to other aspects of Jackson’s life and filmmaking career. It’s also far too long.

Perhaps it is because the lustre of The Lord Of The Rings has faded a little in my eyes. If I had read this when it was all new and exciting, I may have been more interested. As it stands, I’m not terribly inspired.

28 days remaining, 11 books to go... Still with no idea how it’s going to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment