Sunday, January 31, 2010

Day 3 – The most extraordinary eccentrics who were so high brow that they had difficulty in understanding one another (pg 146)

Hi mum! Hope you are enjoying my blog!! I am not sure how this blog will unravel at this stage... about me, about the books... I am hoping I will be able to see it through and finish the task I have set for myself.

This past week I applied for 5 jobs. One small prospect for a short online recruitment film which wouldn't be more than a couple of days of work and seems to be a bit of a dodgy bros operation. Thankfully My Family and Other Animals is doing a wonderful job of taking me somewhere else. Gerry finds so much delight in the little things it’s hard to feel sorry for yourself when he is discovering tortoises emerging from the depths hidden caverns after months of hibernation, or causing an uproar at the dinner table after secreting a matchbox containing a family of scorpions into the house.

As the days go by I am finding that I too am taking delight in the little things. Spiders scrambling across the floor to find some refuge from the heat, even food, the bright colours of vegetables or the fact the inside of my fridge currently has the delicious aroma of fresh juicy pineapple. I can only conclude that 10-year-old Gerry Durrell is having a very positive effect on me and I will be sorry to get to the last page.

Reading this wonderful account has lead me to do a little research on Gerald Durrell, his career and achievements are astounding but at the same time not surprising. I was a little saddened to discover he passed away 15 years ago and am now very interested in reading the two sequels he wrote to My Family and Other Animals which are Birds, Beasts and Relatives and The Garden of the Gods. My thanks once again to the lovely Tessa for introducing me to this world of wildlife and wonder. I do however have a number of other books to get through beforehand and have therefore decided to start a list entitled ‘what to read next’.

Returning to the task at hand; Chapter 13 – The Snow White Villa with 279 days remaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment