Sunday, March 28, 2010

Day 59 – 21 today...


With Pride and Prejudice and Zombies now finished, I am moving on to Peter Jackson – A Filmmakers Journey in the hopes it will inspire me to action. This book was a birthday present 2 years ago while I was still at film school, from friends of mine who expected great things from me. This is quite a thick book and I feel I won’t be wanting to read it all the time. Therefore I’ve decided to read two books simultaneously. Which I believe to be a great idea as I have to add yet another book to the list.

Yesterday I happened across a carnival run by the local rotary club and they had a book stall. No I shouldn’t have wondered over, but there were books everywhere and I was drawn to them. I was happily looking at one book when an elderly gentleman manning the stall came and informed me I could "fill a bag for $1" "No!" I cried “don't do that to me!" I managed to walk out of there with only one, One Pair of Feet by Monica Dickens, which I have since discovered is the second of three. So while I am only adding 1 extra book at this stage, really it’s 3... oh dear.

I watched Julie and Julia again last night, and I hardly know what to think. At times I felt a connection with Julie; on the cusp of 30, having not achieved her dreams and feeling quite at a loss. I then wondered how it came to be that she was able to succeed so amazlingly in her career as a writer with seemingly little effort via her blog? Evidently a film is not real life and I am sure she worked hard at being a writer before her success. However how did she manage to get such a following after even 47 days?

Although I am not expecting a horde of readers to come knocking down my door, I would like to feel that someone out there in the void was reading this (other than my mother and friends!)

I would like to be more like Julia and so many other inspiring women out there who have the courage of their convictions, who are determine to achieve their goals without compromise. I am not one of these women. I stay where I feel safe, reading my books, writing my blog and applying for an endless stream of jobs. I make token gestures in the hope that something will change, and at the same time being constantly terrified that change will appear at any moment and I will no longer feel safe.

I do however have the urge to go to my nearest food emporium, pick up multitudes of fresh ingredients, and cook up a storm.

225 days remaining, 18 books to go (21 books to go, why does that number sound familiar?)

No comments:

Post a Comment