Thursday, November 10, 2011

Who collected books about gangsters (pg 111)


I did actually finish Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons about a month ago. I have no idea why it took me 5 months to read this book. (Note; this book is not counted among the 30 for the campaign as I finished it before it started.)

It is a little full on to begin with, Gibbons may have been aiming for Austen prowess, indeed Austen is reffered to constantly throughout the book.

It is lovely though, very tongue in cheek as our heroine Flora Poste goes to live with relatives on a dilapidated farm and unashamedly goes about improving the lives of all its inhabitants. A good laugh really, as long as you don't see something nasty in the woodshed...

I had previously seen the film which was very well done and lead me to want to read the book. If you are in a mood for a little frippery, then I would recommend both the book and the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment