Thursday, February 11, 2010

Day 14 – One’s life is more formed, I sometimes think, by books than human beings. (pg 203)

In protest to the all the horribleness of looking for a job, I spent yesterday in the kitchen baking with the air conditioning on (to avoid the 30 + degree heat). I also finished a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle and read one chapter of Travels With My Aunt. I’m sure I did other things as well, however I can’t think of what they are just now.

Today, after applying for four more jobs, I sat down intent on finishing the book, and finish it I did. I am now quite happy to let this book go free to the nearest op shop for another unsuspecting reader, or perhaps for a person who will appreciate it more than I. The vandal did make a reappearance towards the end of the book, but any sense of my interest did not... I would still like to see the film, perhaps it will help me to piece together all the things I missed when I read the book. It also looks like there is a remake in production to be released next year.

With the quote above in mind from Travels with My Aunt, I pulled out one of my favourite childhood books; Socks for Supper by Jack Kent.



It’s a quaint story about a couple who have nothing but a turnip garden and industriously make socks for the neighbours who in return give them milk and cheese. It makes me see the world more simply, all I need to do is create something, give it to someone else, and I will get milk and cheese (kind of like a job really)! It also makes me hungry for cheese. Oh glorious cheese! For those who cannot eat cheese I have the greatest sympathy for those who do not like cheese, the greatest suspicion. For me there is no finer food in the world. A summers day with a piece of creamy brie melting in your mouth and a crisp glass of wine in your hand... mmm

266 days remaining, 19 books to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment