Friday, February 5, 2010

Day 8 - ‘Hardly Literary’ I said...(pg 130)

I can’t believe it’s been just over a week since I started this blog, it feels like so much longer. Although I am not getting much reading done at the moment. This week I have applied for another five or so jobs, thankfully one of which I am actually excited about. Having now applied it is out of my hands, and will be for at least 3 weeks until applications close, nothing like being keen!

Another reason I have not picked up my book is that yesterday I went into the Royal Children's Hospital where I sporadically volunteer on children’s television program Going Nuts With Macadamia.

I also (thanks to my boyfriend) managed to get a couple of hrs paid work filming a corporate medical video, it felt nice to be flexing my skills and general filmic know-how again.

While filming the children’s show, the current host, Mel, had brought in one of her favourite books, Oh The Places You’ll Go by Dr Seuss. She mentioned that it’s commonly read out at weddings and another staff member said her mother read aloud from it at her daughter’s christening. I was instantly intrigued, and while I am quite sure I would have come across this book as a child, I couldn’t remember it. I looked at the colourful and simple cover, I wanted to walk over, pick it up, and read it there and then. I managed to restrain myself, while it is only a short book, I have not been given this book, and so it will have be added to ‘what to read next’.

I was also distracted from my book by the most wonderful film last evening called Phoebe in Wonderland. If you want to see a beautifully filmed, powerfully acted and strongly written story, I highly recommend it. I came to it with no expectations and no notion of what it might be about. I often find that this is the best way to experience anything, especially a book or a film.

274 Days remaining, 20 books to go. According to my calculations, that that gives me approx 2 weeks to read each book, which at this stage seems more than enough...

1 comment:

  1. The documentary is awesome! So is the show Go Nuts With Macadamia! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete