Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Day 33 – The more I see of the world, the more I am dissatisfied with it.. (pg 128)

... and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense.’ The somewhat cynical voice of Elizabeth Bennet rings very true to me at this time. The job search is becoming more depressing by the hour.

But enough of that, I have just watched the film Cold Comfort Farm and have become aware that it is based on a book by Stella Gibbons. I therefore have to put it on the list of what to read next, because if it’s anything like the film I think I will enjoy it very much. The story is deliciously dark and fantastically funny. It does at times border on the preposterous, but it’s witty enough to be forgiven.

The local pub in the story is called 'The Condemned Man' and one of the characters provides a depressing ‘to do’ lists that includes; ‘Drain the well, there’s a neighbour missin’. In amongst all this, the main character Flora Poste, manages to remain cheerfully optimistic. This story of a young woman who dreams of becoming a writer like Jane Austen and longs to put things in order reminds me a little of myself, if only I could share her cheerful optimism. However Flora Poste is a female character in the 1930’s, where a steady job and a fulfilling career is not a must.

I am neglecting my reading... I do love Pride and Prejudice, however there always seems to be other things to do than sit down and read. I have finished my scarf and you’ll be quite glad to know that I have sent Travels with My Aunt off to Kidney Health Australia... I hope it finds a good home there.

249 days remaining, 18 books to go.

2 comments:

  1. Thought I'd throw in my suggestions for books 22, 23, 24 and beyond (presuming you haven't given reading way by this point...hope not!). Your blog has got me thinking about my top list of books. Over the past year I've done quite a bit of travel which always perks up my reading, but for some reason spending more time at home has caused it to dwindle once again.

    I'm currently finishing off 'The Unbearable Lightness of Being' by Milan Kundera which I've really enjoyed, I seem to have a thing for Czech writers.

    My top three would have to include:

    - Too Loud a Solitude by Bohumil Hrabal
    - Stay Alive My Son by Pin Yathay
    - The Rum Diary by Hunter S. Thompson

    R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the list Robbie. These will of course be added to ‘what to read next’ I feel quite certain I am never going to be wanting for a book suggestion ever again!

    ReplyDelete