Tuesday, March 6, 2012

I went without a new shawl so that I might buy a book instead - (pg 58)


Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier was a wonderful book. I have always been a fan of Chevalier's work. I believe The Virgin Blue is my favourite and I would like to go back and re-read that, as well as The Girl With A Pearl Earring.

Chevalier always manages to create a wonderful sense of time and place. This story is set in the English coastal town of Lyme in the 1800's and centers around historical figure Mary Anning, one of the first fossil hunters and certainly the first female.

It is very Austen-eske, and although there are no romances, I enjoyed the flirtations and the strong female characters.

It blends fact and fiction beautifully and made me want to know more about the lives of all of the characters. However I think Chevalier's novels always manage to do that. Had me from start to finish.

300 Days Remaining, 23 Books to go

No comments:

Post a Comment